Thursday, December 22, 2011
by Amy, HabsTweetup.com (AllHabs.net)
PHILADELPHIA, PA -- One of my favorite holiday brunch items is a warm slice (or two) of cranberry orange bread with a bit of butter on it. Today's cookie recipe takes that traditional breakfast treat and turns it into a sweet yet tangy cookie, complete with an orange glaze. You might want to make an extra batch - these could disappear quickly!
Cranberry Orange Cookies
Recipe courtesy of AllRecipes.com
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed firmly
1 tsp. grated orange zest
2 tbsp. orange juice
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups chopped cranberries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
1/2 tsp. grated orange zest
3 tbsp. orange juice
1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
2. In a large mixing bowl cream together the butter, sugar, and brown sugar until smooth and creamy. Beat in the egg until well blended, then add 1 tsp. of orange zest and 2 tbsp. orange juice.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Stir flour mixture into the orange butter mixture.
4. Stir in cranberries and walnuts.
5. Drop dough by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheets, using parchment paper for easy cleanup.
6. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, until cookie edges are golden brown. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool.
7. While the cookies are cooling, mix together the 1/2 tsp. orange zest, 3 tbsp. orange juice and confectioners sugar until smooth. Drizzle gently over the top of the cookies and allow glaze to set.
Be sure to check back tomorrow for our next cookie recipe: Peanut Butter Cups!
Did you miss one of our previous cookie recipes? Find them here:
Day 1 - Raspberry Ribbons
Day 2 - Almond Kisses
Day 3 - Banana Bread Cookies
Day 4 - Melomakarona
Day 5 - The Original Chocolate Chip Cookie
Day 6 - Chocolate Chip Bites with Salted Caramel Glaze
Day 7 - Apple Cider Snickerdoodles
Day 8 - Soft Gingersnaps
Day 9 - Chocolate Chocolate Peanut Butter Chip Cookies
photo credits: AllRecipes.com (Kimberly Harvey), Wikipedia, Squidoo.com, KingArthurFlour.com